There are various categories of medal which honour our bravehearts. Lets get to know about them.
For exceptional bravery in the face of enemy.
- Param Vir Chakra
- Maha Vir Chakra
- Vir Chakra
Param Vir Chakra:
Param Vir Chakra is the top decorated war time Military award in India. It is awarded for highest degree of valour or self sacrifice in the presence of enemy.It is circular bronze disc. 21 Param Vir Chakras had been awarded so far. Param Vir Chakra was designed by Mrs. Savitri Khanolkar who was from Switzerland. Later she got interested in Indian culture and settled in India. The first Param Vir Chakra was awarded to her daughter’s brother in law Major Somnath Sharma from Kumaon regment.
Maha Vir Chakra:
Maha Vir Chakra is the second decorated Military award after Param Vir Chakra and it is awarded for conspicious bravery in times of war .It is categorized as wartime gallantry award. Most Maha Vir Chakras awarded for members who fought Indo-Pak 1971 war. Maha Vir Chakra is circular in shape and is made of silver.It has five pointed heraldic star with domed centre bearing national emblem. It is held by half white and half orange ribbons.
Vir Chakra is the war time gallantry award and is ranked after Param Vir Chakra and Maha Vir Chakra.This medal is held by half orange saffron and half dark blue.
PEACE TIME AWARDS
- Ashok Chakra
- Kirti Chakra
- Shaurya Chakra
- Sena Medal
The Ashoka Chakra is India’s highest peacetime military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the battlefield. It is the peace time equivalent of the Param Vir Chakra, and is awarded for the “most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent valour or self-sacrifice” . Flt. Lt. Suhas Biswas was the first Indian Air Force officer to be awarded the Ashoka Chakra.
The Kirti Chakra is an Indian military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the field of battle. It may be awarded to civilians as well as military personnel, including posthumous awards. It is the peacetime equivalent of the Maha Vir Chakra. It is second in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards; it comes after Ashoka Chakra and before Shaurya Chakra. Before 1967, the award was known as the Ashoka Chakra, Class II.
The Shaurya Chakra is an Indian military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice while not engaged in direct action with the enemy. It may be awarded to civilians as well as military personnel, sometimes posthumously. It is the peacetime equivalent of the Vir Chakra. It is generally awarded for Counter-Insurgency operations and actions against the enemy during peace-time. It is third in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards and comes after the Ashoka Chakra and the Kirti Chakra. It precedes the Sena Medal. Before 1967, the award was known as the Ashoka Chakra, Class III.
The Sena Medal is awarded to members of the Indian army, of all ranks, “for such individual acts of exceptional devotion to duty or courage as have special significance for the Army.” Awards may be made posthumously.
DISTINGUISHED SERVICES MEDAL
- Param Vishisht Seva Medal(PVSM)
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal(AVSM)
- Vishisht Seva Medal(VSM)
Param Vishisht Seva Medal(PVSM)
Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM) is a military award of India. It was constituted in 1960 and since then till date, it is awarded in recognition to peace-time service of the most exceptional order and may be awarded posthumously. All ranks of the Indian Armed Forces including Territorial Army, Auxiliary and Reserve Forces, Nursing officers and other members of the Nursing services and other lawfully constituted Armed Forces are eligible for the award.
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal(AVSM)
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) is a military award of India given to recognize “distinguished service of an exceptional order” to all ranks of the armed forces.The award can also be granted posthumously. A 35-mm circular silver medal, with a five-pointed star in the center. Suspended from a straight-bar suspender. Named on the edge.
- The Ati Vishisht Seva Medal was originally established as the “Vishisht Seva Medal, Class II”. It was renamed on January 27, 1967 and the badge redesigned. Since 1980 the awarding of the medal have been restricted to non-operational service as the Uttam Yudh Seva Medal was created to recognize distinguished services in an operational environment.
Vishisht Seva Medal(VSM)
- Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) is a decoration of the Indian Armed forces. It is awarded to recognize “distinguished service of an exceptional order” to all ranks of the Indian armed forces.
- The award may be granted posthumously and subsequent awards are represented by a bar worn on the ribbon. The award carries with it the right to use “VSM” as post-nominal letters. The medal was originally established as the “Vishisht Seva Medal, Class III”. It was renamed to its present name on 27 January 1967. The design of the medal remained unchanged and the change be reflected only in the records.
- From 1980, the Yudh Seva Medal was introduced to recognize exceptional services in an operational environment.Since then the VSM has been restricted to non-operational service.
MEDALS HONOURED FOR LENGTH OF SERVICE
- Siachen Glacier Medal
- High Altitude Medal
- Sainya Seva Medal
- Special Service Medal
Thus the medal cupboard of India.
How to identify Reel medals from Real ones?
- Made of Cupro-Nickel
- Made in Government of India Mint
- A rim inscribed with the name,rank,service number of the recepient
- Made of white metal
- Available in private military stores around cantonments
- Not inscribed
Thus the fake one is found!!!!!
- Google pages
- India today Magazine
- Indian Defence review Website
- Defence magazine of India.